Dimitrios is an innovative tourism and hospitality researcher, teacher and adviser that conceptualises technology-enabled strategic management and marketing solutions on a global scale. His often called as a strategist for International Organisations, National and Local governments and private tourism organisations.
Dimitrios is proud for a number of achievements over his career, including:
• Strategic Management and Marketing professional with global academic and enterprise recognition
• Innovation and leadership in research, enterprise, curriculum design, teaching, and industry involvement
• Elected in August 2009, as the youngest member of the International Academy for the Study of Tourism
• Elected in April 2010, President of International Federation for Information Technologies in Travel and Tourism (IFITT)
• Rated 2nd most cited scholar (whose first publication came after 1990) in the Bob McKercher’s paper 'Leading citations by scholars in Tourism', published in Tourism Management, 29 (2008) 1226–1232http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.03.003
•Recognised as the author of the #1 and #7 most influential articles written in Tourism by Law, Rob , Ye, Qiang , Chen, Wei and Leung, Rosanna(2009) An analysis of the most influential articles published in tourism journals from 2000 to 2007: a Google scholar approach, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 26: 7, 735 — 746http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10548400903284628
• According to Harzing's Publish or Perish my papers include the #1, #2 and #11 most cited papers of Tourism Management with 531, 343, and 179 citations (20June2010).
• Have written or co-edited 14 books and more than 100 journal articles and book chapters
• Have sourced & managed more than €1million research income awarded mainly by the European Commission
• Has held Visiting Professor appointments in 4 Universities in France, Austria, Portugal and Hong Kong
• Since 1997 Visiting Professor in ESSEC-Paris, one of the top 10 Business Schools in Europe
• Teaching in more than 40 Universities around the world
• Global presence and work with academics, governments and businesses
• Led Bournemouth University through the TEDQUAL UNWTO accreditation process
• Created the first MSc in eTourism in the world and developed the eTourism curriculum globally
• Invited regularly to present keynotes in academic and practitioner conferences around the world
• Have been working as Advisor, Reviewer, Evaluator and Cluster Rapporter the European Commission FP programmes, and as adviser for the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and the World Travel Tourism Council (WTTC).
follow Dimitrios at http://twitter.com/buhalis